This document refers to personal data, which is defined as information concerning any living person or ‘live’ organisation (who throughout this document will be called the Data Subject) that is not already in the public domain.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) seeks to protect and enhance the rights of data subjects. These rights cover the safeguarding of personal data, protection against the unlawful processing of personal data and the unrestricted movement of personal data within the EU. It should be noted that GDPR does not apply to information already in the public domain.
Comet Electricals Limited is pleased to provide the following Privacy Notice:
Comet Electricals Limited uses the information collected from you undertake a range of tasks associated with our relationship including:
- providing quotations
- making direct contact via media such as the telephone, post or email
- producing purchase orders, dispatch notes and invoices
- marketing: new products, product updates and/or changes to our product range
Additionally, we will from time to time provide marketing information which Comet Electricals Limited believes may be of interest to you and your business. In you making initial contact you consent to Comet Electricals Limited maintaining a marketing dialogue with you until you either opt out (which you can do at any stage) or we decide to desist in promoting our services. Comet Electricals Limited also acts on behalf of its customers in the capacity of data processor. When working exclusively as a data processor, Comet Electricals Limited will be acting on the instruction of its customers and will work hard to ensure that the customer is fully GDPR compliant.
Some personal data may be collected about you from the forms and surveys you complete, from records of our correspondence and phone calls and details of your visits to our website, including but not limited to personally identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. Comet Electricals Limitedd may from time to time use such information to identify its visitors. Comet Electricals Limitedd may also collect statistics about the behaviour of visitors to its website.
Any information Comet Electricals Limited holds about you and your business encompasses all the details we hold about you and any sales transactions including any third-party information we have obtained about you from public sources and our own suppliers such as credit referencing agencies.
Comet Electricals Limited will only collect the information needed so that it can provide you with marketing and consulting services, this agency does not sell or broker your data, although coincidentally there may be times when your information could be contained in data that Comet Electricals Limited has purchased from a third-party list broker, on behalf of a customer.
Legal basis for processing any personal data
To meet Comet Electricals Limited contractual obligations to customers and to also respond to marketing enquiries.
Legitimate interests pursued by Comet Electricals Limited and/or its customers
To promote the marketing, products and services offered by Comet Electricals Limited and/or to market the services and/or products offered by Comet Electricals Limited existing customers.
Through agreeing to this privacy notice you are consenting to Comet Electricals Limited processing your personal data for the purposes outlined. You can withdraw consent at any time by emailing email@example.com or writing to us, see last section for full contact details.
In order to be able to offer you Klarna’s payment options, we will pass to Klarna certain aspects of your personal information, such as contact and order details, in order for Klarna to assess whether you qualify for their payment options and to tailor the payment options for you.
Comet Electricals Limited may on occasions pass your Personal Information to third parties exclusively to process work on its behalf. Comet Electricals Limited requires these parties to agree to process this information based on our instructions and requirements consistent with this Privacy Notice and the General Data Protection Regulation.
Comet Electricals Limited do not broker or pass on information gained from your engagement with third parties without your consent. However, Comet Electricals Limited may disclose your Personal Information to meet legal obligations, regulations or valid governmental request. The third party may also enforce its Terms and Conditions, including investigating potential violations of its Terms and Conditions to detect, prevent or mitigate fraud or security or technical issues; or to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Comet Electricals Limited, its customers and/or the wider community.
Comet Electricals Limited will process personal data during the duration of any contract and will continue to store only the personal data needed for up to six years after the contract has expired to meet any legal obligations. After this period any personal data not needed will be deleted.
Data is held in the United Kingdom using approaches which include paper and/or IT systems. These are all managed to the required level of information security. Comet Electricals Limited does not store personal data outside the EEA.
Your rights as a data subject
At any point whilst Comet Electricals Limited is in possession of or processing your personal data, all data subjects have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right not to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
In the event that Comet Electricals Limited refuses your request under data subject access rights (DSARs), we will provide you with a reason as to why, which you have the right to legally challenge.
You can request the following information
- Identity and the contact details of the person or organisation (Comet Electricals Limited) that has determined how and why to process your data.
- Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal (lawful) basis for processing.
- If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of Comet Electricals Limited or a third party such as one of its customers, information about those interests.
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
- Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority (Data Protection Authority).
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
- Any details and information of automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.
To access what personal data is held, identification will be required
Comet Electricals Limited will accept the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested: a copy of your national ID card, driving license, passport, birth certificate and a utility bill not older than three months. A minimum of one piece of photographic ID listed above and a supporting document is required. If Comet Electricals Limited is dissatisfied with the quality, further information may be sought before personal data can be released.
All requests should be made to DPO@comet.co.uk or writing to us at the address further below.
In the event that you wish to make a compliant about how your personal data is being processed by Comet Electricals Limited or its partners, you have the right to complain to Comet Electricals Limited Company Secretary. If you do not get a response within 30 days you can complain to the Data Protection Regulator.
The details for each of these contacts are:
Comet Electricals Limited
Attention of the Data Protection Officer,
3 – 5 Huxley Close, Wellingborough, NN8 6AB.
YOUR DATA PROTECTION REGULATOR
Information Commissioner's Office